Cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs are a delicious and indulgent treat that combine the flavors of a classic hot dog with the irresistible combination of cheese and bacon. These scrumptious creations are perfect for serving at parties, barbecues, and other gatherings, catering to both adults and children alike. The simplicity and versatility of this dish make it an easy option to impress guests or to enjoy a delightful meal for yourself.
Preparing cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs involves a few basic steps, starting with selecting quality hot dogs as the base. The choice of cheese and bacon is crucial, as it brings in the meltiness and the crispiness that make this dish stand out. Once the hot dog is filled with cheese and wrapped in bacon, it is ready to be cooked using various methods such as grilling, baking, or broiling, based on personal preferences and available appliances. Proper cooking ensures that the bacon is crispy, and the cheese is melted inside the hot dog, giving it a delightful appearance, texture, and taste.
- Cheese, bacon, and hot dogs create a simple, indulgent treat for various gatherings.
- The selection of quality ingredients and preferred cooking methods is essential.
- Balanced flavors, presentation, and food pairings can enhance the overall experience.
The Basics of Cheese Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs
What You Need to Know
Cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs are a delicious twist on the classic hot dog, perfect for grilling season or a casual get-together. They combine the savory flavors of hot dogs, cheese, and bacon into a mouthwatering dish that will surely please your family and friends.
To make them, you will need the following ingredients:
- Hot dogs
- Cheese of your choice (Cheddar, string cheese, etc.)
- Thinly sliced bacon
- Optional toppings: mustard, ketchup, relish, onions, etc.
After gathering your ingredients, follow these simple steps to achieve the perfect cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dog:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (204°C) or prepare a grill for indirect cooking.
- Cut a slit in each hot dog, but not all the way through, to create a pocket for the cheese.
- Slice the cheese into small rectangles or use string cheese that fits perfectly inside the hot dog’s slit.
- Stuff each hot dog with the cheese.
- Wrap each hot dog tightly with a piece of bacon, ensuring the cheese pocket is covered to prevent cheese leakage.
- Cook the wrapped hot dogs in the preheated oven or on the grill, until the bacon is crispy and golden brown.
Choosing the Right Ingredients
Selecting quality ingredients will make your cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs even more scrumptious.
For hot dogs, opt for all-beef hot dogs or your favorite variety. Vegans and vegetarians can also choose plant-based hot dogs for a meat-free alternative.
When choosing the cheese, consider its melting properties and flavor. Cheddar and mozzarella are popular choices due to their gooey, melted texture and delicious taste. Additionally, string cheese provides convenience, as it’s already pre-cut and fits easily into the hot dog slit.
Lastly, choose bacon that’s thinly sliced for easy wrapping and fast cooking. Thick-cut bacon will take longer to cook and may not crisp up as well. Regular or smoked bacon varieties can be used depending on your taste preference.
With these basics in mind, you’re now well-equipped to make delicious cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs!
Prep Time and Cook Time Breakdown
Preparing cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs is a straightforward process that takes about 15 minutes of prep time and 30 minutes of cook time. Here is a breakdown of the steps involved:
- Prep Time (15 minutes):
- Slice cheese
- Slit hot dogs
- Wrap bacon around hot dogs
- Cook Time (30 minutes):
- Bake in the oven at 375°F (190°C) or grill
- Total Time: 45 minutes
To ensure your bacon is wrapped securely around the hot dogs, follow these steps:
- Lay out a slice of bacon on a clean surface.
- Place the hot dog at one end of the bacon slice, with the slit-side facing up.
- Tightly wrap the bacon around the hot dog, pinning one end as you start, and using a toothpick as needed to secure the other end.
- When wrapping, make sure to slightly overlap each layer of bacon. This allows it to stay in place while cooking, providing full coverage and even cooking.
Tip: Use a toothpick to hold the bacon in place, ensuring a secure wrap. Make sure to remove the toothpicks before serving.
For a delicious cheese-filled center, follow these stuffing steps:
- Choose your preferred cheese, such as cheddar or mozzarella.
- Cut the cheese into small, long rectangles, ideally about 2 inches in length and 0.25 inches in width and height.
- Create a lengthwise slit in the hot dog, being careful not to slice through the ends. The slit should be around ¾ of the hot dog’s depth.
- Stuff the cheese slices into the slit, making sure they fit snugly and are evenly distributed.
Keep in mind that the cheese may melt and ooze out of the hot dog during the cooking process. To minimize this, use a firmer cheese and ensure your hot dogs are sealed well with the bacon wrap.
Using an Oven
To cook cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs in an oven, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Prepare the hot dogs by making a slit in each one and stuffing them with small rectangles of cheddar cheese. Next, wrap each hot dog tightly with a slice of bacon, securing it with toothpicks if necessary. Place the prepared hot dogs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Bake for 15-20 minutes, turning halfway through, until the bacon reaches your desired crispiness.
Grilling on a BBQ
If you prefer a smoky, outdoor flavor, grilling the hot dogs on a BBQ or gas grill is a great option. First, prepare the hot dogs as you would for the oven method, stuffing them with cheese and wrapping them in bacon. Preheat the grill on a medium heat setting and lightly oil the grate, ensuring it is clean before placing the hot dogs on it. Grill for about 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally to ensure even cooking. Once the bacon is crisp and the cheese has melted, remove the hot dogs from the grill and serve.
Alternative Cooking Options
While not the most preferred method, using a microwave can be a quick alternative for preparing cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs. Prepare the hot dogs as previously described and place them on a microwave-safe plate lined with a paper towel. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, or until the bacon is cooked and the cheese is melted. Due to the microwave’s rapid cooking process, the bacon may not be as crispy as when using an oven or grill.
For a stovetop option, cooking the hot dogs in a skillet is a convenient choice. Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium heat, and add a small amount of oil to prevent sticking. Prepare the hot dogs with cheese and wrap them in bacon as outlined in previous methods. Cook the hot dogs in the skillet, turning them regularly for even cooking. This method will take around 10-15 minutes, depending on your desired level of crispness for the bacon.
Nutrition and Dietary Information
Cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs are a delicious treat that can be enjoyed occasionally. However, it is essential to be aware of the nutritional content to make informed dietary choices.
Calories and Macronutrients: A single serving of cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dog contains approximately 283 calories. The macronutrient breakdown for this dish is as follows:
- Protein: 13.63 grams
- Fat: 19.26 grams (with 19.3 grams of saturated fat)
- Carbohydrates: 2.08 grams (with 2.1 grams of sugar and 0.1 grams of dietary fiber)
Please note that these values are approximate and may differ depending on the ingredients and preparation methods used.
Micronutrients: Cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs also provide some essential micronutrients. For instance, they are a source of sodium and cholesterol:
- Sodium: 2300 milligrams
- Cholesterol: 300 milligrams
It is important to consider these values, especially for those with dietary restrictions or health concerns related to sodium and cholesterol intake.
Dietary Considerations: As the dish is high in saturated fat and sodium, it may not be suitable for individuals following heart-healthy diets or those trying to manage their weight. The dish also contains a modest amount of protein, but the lack of dietary fiber and relatively high-fat content might deter some from considering it a primary source of protein.
In conclusion, cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs can be enjoyed as an occasional indulgence, but consuming them in moderation is key. Keep in mind the nutritional content and consider adjusting other meals throughout the day to maintain a balanced diet.
Serving and Presentation
Accompanying Side Dishes
When serving cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs, it’s important to consider side dishes that complement the rich and savory flavors. Here are some popular side dish options:
- Potato salad: A classic picnic staple, potato salad can be made in advance, allowing flavors to meld while you prepare the hot dogs.
- Coleslaw: This tangy and refreshing dish pairs perfectly with the juicy, cheesy hot dogs, providing a burst of crunch and zest.
- Grilled or roasted vegetables: Zucchini, bell peppers, asparagus, or corn on the cob are excellent options for a lighter side, and can be seasoned with your favorite spices or herbs.
- Chips: Choose from a variety of chips such as kettle-style, wavy, or artisan. Offering different flavors like sea salt, barbecue, or sour cream and onion provides a simple yet satisfying side.
To elevate your cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs, consider providing a range of toppings for your guests to customize their meal. Here are some ideas to get you started:
|The classic condiment for hot dogs, perfect for those who prefer a traditional flavor.
|Choose from various types, such as yellow, dijon, or spicy brown, for a tangy kick.
|This fermented cabbage adds a unique sour taste, providing contrast to the rich hot dog.
|Sweet or dill relish adds another layer of flavor, playing well with the other condiments.
|Finely chopped raw onions provide a sharp bite, or opt for caramelized onions for a sweet and savory touch.
|Spicy jalapeños add heat and a pop of color, perfect for those who enjoy a little kick.
|A hearty chili turns these hot dogs into a complete meal, satisfying and warming from the inside out.
Remember to offer a variety of hot dog buns, such as classic white, whole grain, or even pretzel buns, to cater to different tastes. This will allow your guests to enjoy their cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs with the perfect combination of side dishes, toppings, and condiments.
Flavors and Seasoning
In this section, we will discuss how to elevate the taste of cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs with spices and explore the impact of cheese varieties on the overall flavor.
Enhancing Taste with Spices
The base ingredients of cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs already offer rich flavors with the juicy hot dog, smoky bacon, and sharp cheese notes. However, adding a few spices can elevate the dish to a whole new level. Here are some suggestions to enrich the taste:
- Salt and Pepper: It’s simple but essential! Seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper enhances the natural flavors of the hot dogs, cheese, and bacon.
- Pepper Varieties: Choose from a range of pepper types, such as cayenne, paprika, or crushed red pepper flakes, to add a kick of spice to the hot dogs. Be cautious when applying hot pepper varieties, as their intensity can vary.
- Herbs: Freshly chopped herbs like parsley, cilantro, or chives can provide a burst of freshness, balancing out the richness of the cheese and bacon.
Experiment with different spice combinations to find the ideal blend that complements the dish’s existing flavors.
Cheese Varieties and Their Impact on Flavor
The choice of cheese significantly influences the overall taste of cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs. Let’s explore a few popular cheese options:
- Cheddar Cheese: A classic and versatile choice for hot dogs. Cheddar cheese has a sharp, tangy flavor that goes well with bacon and hot dogs. Whether shredded or sliced, cheddar melts beautifully and adds richness to the dish.
- Monterey Jack: With a milder flavor and excellent melting properties, Monterey Jack is a crowd-pleaser that complements the bold taste of bacon without overpowering it.
- Pepper Jack: A spicy twist on Monterey Jack, this cheese is studded with jalapeños or other pepper varieties, adding an extra zing to your hot dogs.
- Blue Cheese: For those seeking a more gourmet experience with their hot dogs, blue cheese can provide a strong, pungent flavor that pairs well with the smokiness of the bacon.
Try multiple cheese varieties or even combine a few to create a unique and scrumptious cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dog experience. Remember, the key to successful experimentation is balancing the flavors to ensure no single ingredient dominates the dish.
Event Planning with Cheese Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs
Summer gatherings, such as picnics and backyard barbecues, are the perfect occasions to serve cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs. They’re a delicious and satisfying main dish that your guests will enjoy. Be sure to provide a variety of toppings, such as ketchup, mustard, onions, relish, and jalapeños, so your guests can customize their hot dogs to their liking.
If you’re grilling, try to keep the temperature between 375°F and 400°F. Be attentive while cooking, turning the hot dogs occasionally to ensure even cooking. If you’re baking them in the oven, place them on a rack over a foil-lined tray. Bake for around 30 minutes at 375°F. Watch them closely to prevent the cheese from oozing out.
- Cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs
- Grilled vegetables
- Classic coleslaw
- Potato salad
- Chilled lemonade
Celebrating National Holidays
National holidays like the 4th of July are excellent opportunities to gather with family and friends to enjoy delicious food, and cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs are a surefire hit. This recipe adds a unique twist to the traditional hot dog, making your holiday meal even more special.
On the 4th of July, consider having a themed party with red, white, and blue decorations. Serve patriotic drinks such as blue lemonade, and don’t forget dessert – a festive American flag fruit tart or berry trifle will be the perfect end to your meal.
4th of July Menu Ideas:
- Cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs
- Corn on the cob with seasoned butter
- Baked beans
- Watermelon and feta salad
- Red, white, and blue fruit salad
- American flag fruit tart or berry trifle
Remember, planning ahead is key. Make sure you have all the necessary ingredients and supplies ready before your event. Knowing your guests’ dietary preferences and restrictions is important to ensure everyone can enjoy the meal. Cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs are a versatile and crowd-pleasing option that will undoubtedly elevate your summer gatherings or national holiday celebrations.
A well-chosen beverage can enhance the flavors of cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs. When pairing drinks with this dish, consider the rich and savory profile of these hot dogs. One popular option is beer, especially lighter varieties such as lagers, pilsners, or wheat beers. These beers can complement the salty and cheesy flavors, while their carbonation helps cleanse the palate between bites. For those who prefer non-alcoholic options, a simple lemonade or iced tea can offer a refreshing and palate-cleansing counterpoint to the richness of the dish.
Side Dish Recommendations
When it comes to side dishes, a cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs meal can be elevated with selections that contrast with and complement its rich and savory flavors. Some recommended side dishes include:
- Pasta Salad: A tangy and refreshing pasta salad can provide a bright contrast to the cheesy, bacon-wrapped hot dog. Opt for recipes that include ingredients like olives, tomatoes, and feta cheese for a Mediterranean twist.
- Baked Beans: Baked beans are a classic accompaniment to hot dogs, and their sweet, tangy, and mildly spicy flavors can create a harmonious pairing with the cheese-stuffed bacon-wrapped version as well. Opt for traditional recipes or try variations with different beans and spices.
- Grilled Corn: A deliciously charred grilled corn on the cob can bring out the smoky flavors of the bacon, while providing a fresh and slightly sweet contrast to the dish.
- Coleslaw: A crunchy, tangy coleslaw can help cut through the heaviness of the cheese and bacon, providing a light and refreshing balance to the dish.
By considering complementary beverages and side dishes, you can create a well-rounded and enjoyable meal that highlights the delicious flavors of cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs.
Storage and Leftovers
Proper Storage Techniques
Storing cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs properly is essential to maintain their freshness and safety. Once the hot dogs are cooked and have cooled down, place them in an airtight container to prevent air exposure. If the hot dogs are wrapped with a significant amount of fat from the bacon, consider using a paper towel to absorb excess grease before storage. This will help extend their shelf life and prevent any potential off-flavors.
Refrigerate the hot dogs within 2 hours of cooking and storing at temperatures below 40°F (4°C). Hot dogs should be consumed within 3-4 days. If you expect to store them for a more extended period, it’s best to freeze them. To freeze the hot dogs, individually wrap them in foil or plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe container or a zip-top freezer bag. Hot dogs can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Reheating for Best Quality
Reheating cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs can be done using various methods, such as the oven, stovetop, or microwave. However, it’s essential to select the right reheating method that retains their quality while ensuring even heating. Here are three methods to reheat the hot dogs:
- Oven (recommended): Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Place the hot dogs on a baking sheet lined with foil, ensuring they’re evenly spaced. Doing so will allow the fat from the bacon to distribute more evenly while reheating. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the bacon is crispy and the cheese is melted.
- Stovetop: Warm a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place the hot dogs in the skillet, and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side, turning them occasionally to prevent burning. Monitor the process closely and remove them from the skillet once the bacon is crispy and the cheese is melted.
- Microwave: While not the preferred method, you can reheat hot dogs in the microwave if short on time. Place the hot dogs on a microwave-safe plate, cover them with a microwave-safe lid or another plate, and heat them in 30-second increments at medium power. Check the hot dogs after each increment for desired heating, being cautious not to overcook as the microwave can cause the cheese to explode or make the outer layer soggy.
Remember that the hot dogs must reach an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) when reheating to ensure they’re safe to eat. Always use a thermometer to check the temperature before consuming.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I cook bacon-wrapped hot dogs in the oven?
To cook bacon-wrapped hot dogs in the oven, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Place the prepared hot dogs on a rack over a foil-lined tray to catch drips. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy and the cheese is melted. Keep an eye on them to prevent overcooking.
What are the best cheeses to use for stuffing hot dogs?
The best cheeses for stuffing hot dogs are those that melt well and complement the flavors of the bacon and hot dog. Some popular choices include cheddar, pepper jack, mozzarella, and Monterey Jack. Feel free to experiment with your favorite type of cheese to create your perfect stuffed hot dog.
What side dishes complement bacon-wrapped hot dogs?
Side dishes that complement bacon-wrapped hot dogs can include classic cookout favorites and lighter options to balance the richness of the main dish. Some popular choices are:
- Baked beans
- Potato salad
- Grilled corn on the cob
- Mixed green salad
How do you prepare bacon-wrapped hot dogs in an air fryer?
To prepare bacon-wrapped hot dogs in an air fryer, preheat the air fryer to 375°F (190°C). Place the prepared hot dogs in the air fryer basket, making sure they do not touch each other. Cook for about 10-12 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy and the cheese is melted. Cooking times may vary depending on your air fryer model, so always keep an eye on the hot dogs and adjust the time accordingly.
What variations can be made on the classic cheese-stuffed bacon-wrapped hot dog?
There are many variations you can make on the classic cheese-stuffed bacon-wrapped hot dog. Some ideas include:
- Use different types of sausage, such as bratwurst, kielbasa, or Andouille.
- Experiment with different cheeses or combinations of cheeses.
- Add cooked onions, peppers, or jalapenos inside the hot dog slit before stuffing with cheese.
- Top the finished hot dog with your favorite condiments and toppings, such as pickles, sauerkraut, or barbecue sauce.
What was the popular cheese-filled hot dog in the 1980s?
The popular cheese-filled hot dog in the 1980s was known as the “Cheese Frank” or “Stuffed Frank” produced by Oscar Mayer. It featured a hot dog with a cheese filling, which would melt when cooked, providing a delicious cheesy center. Although this specific product is no longer available, the concept lives on in the form of homemade cheese-stuffed hot dogs like the bacon-wrapped version mentioned in this article.